When you join or renew your membership, be sure to select New England as your chapter. Chapter members enjoy these benefits:
- Network of Peers: Members get plenty of opportunities throughout the year to network with other members in both casual and formal events. From social events such as pub nights, to training sessions such as program nights, the chance to bounce ideas off one another, learn about job opportunities, and hear about project shortcuts, new software or tools is especially valuable. Visit our Programs page for a list of upcoming events.
- Monthly Programs: STC New England offers monthly Program Meetings on various industry topics, presented by your peers. These are great for networking and socializing as well as learning about the program topic! STC also develops targeted 60-minute, single-topic Webinars.
- InterChange Conference: We host an annual multi-day conference where you can present or attend to learn about hot topics, best practices, and emerging trends.
- Exclusive Access to Job Bank: Only members are able to see the job listings posted to our Job Bank. In addition to our job bank, job listings are also available on the main STC website’s Career Center where online listings are searchable by geographic area and experience level.
- Volunteer Opportunities: Become involved as much as your interest allows and develop your knowledge and skills through an elected executive or appointed position. Boost your resume and personal profile within your peer community.
- Social Meetups: In addition to the monthly program meetings, members can connect to peers socially at the after-work social events, at multiple locations. (Check the calendar for times and locations.)
- Social Media: Chapter volunteers manage our presence on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn (all as STC New England). We can teach you if you want to help!
Benefits for All STC Members
To join the Society for Technical Communication, go to STC.org.
These are the benefits you get as a member of STC:
- SIGs: STC has many special interest groups (SIGs) organized by type of work performed and the classification of employment. Many members join one or more SIGs.
- Annual Summit: Members get discounts and are offered early bird registration rates to attend the Technical Communication Summit (often saving as much as $300 to $500 over non-members). The Summit is a great way to build your network and to catch up on new trends and tools.
- Salary Guide: STC conducts an annual salary survey collecting and publishing geographically relevant salary information for employees and contractors. The STC Salary Database is free for members and is based on the latest information from the US Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics survey of technical writers among 1.25 million US business establishments.
- STC Publications: STC publishes a monthly magazine, a quarterly journal, and an online newsletter to stay on top of Society activities. Intercom offers a broad range of articles for the professional. Topics cover writing and editing, tips for consultants, tools of the trade, new products, and unusual job profiles. Technical Communication is a peer-reviewed journal with papers based on research findings advancing the Body of Knowledge. STC’s Notebook, the global weekly online newsletter, offers bite-sized updates on what’s happening within STC, as well as industry news.
- Exclusive Discounts on Products: Vendors such as MadCap Software and Office Depot are among the corporations that offer discounts on products to STC members. Discounts are typically 10 to 15 percent. The savings for members taking advantage of the discounts can be hundreds of dollars, much more than the cost of STC dues. Check out our Member Discounts.
- Access to Best Practices Research: STC members receive a one-year complimentary access (a $995 value) to more than 5,500 research documents in Best-in-Class enterprises with hundreds of benchmark and best practices reports in areas such as: business value research analysis, research briefs, market perspectives, and key performance indicators. STC has partnered with Aberdeen Group, a leading, fact-based, market research firm, to bring you exclusive access to the latest Aberdeen analysis, market-moving news, and vertical insights.
- An STC Membership looks great on your resume and your involvement contributes to the development of our profession.
Visit the STC Membership Benefits page at STC.org for more reasons to join!
Join now! Register at STC.org and choose STC New England as your chapter.